Spoons (most people use plastic, but if you prefer you can use metal spoons)
Chocolate (or White Chocolate) Chips or Candy Melts
Microwave Safe Measuring cup
Solid Shortening (use if chocolate needs to be thinned)
Cellophane (this is used if you are going to wrap the spoons as gifts or favors)
Ribbon (to tie cellophane if used)
Sprinkles (to sprinkle on chocolate)
Crushed Candy of choice (to sprinkle on chocolate)
Parchment Cone (for adding designs)
- Cover cookie sheets with baking paper.
- Place one cup of chocolate or candy melts into your microwave safe measuring cup. (For best results use a smaller deeper cup)
- Microwave chocolate chips or candy melts at 50% power for 1 minute. Remove cup and stir. Continue microwaving at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted and smooth. DO NOT over-heat chocolate or it will burn and not taste good.
- To thin chocolate, add 1 teaspoon solid shortening per cup of chocolate chips. Stir gently.
- Dip spoons in melted chocolate to cover the bowl part of the spoon.
- Remove excess chocolate by tapping tip gently against the side of the measuring cup.
- If chocolate thickens, return to the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power, stir gently.
- Repeat with second cup of chocolate chips or candy melts.
- If you are going to add candy sprinkles, sprinkle them onto spoons before the chocolate hardens! Allow the chocolate to cool and set.
- Optional – If you want to add more color to the spoon, feel free to melt another color chocolate in the same way as above, fill a parchment cone with the chocolate and pipe swirls, designs or zig-zags across the head of each spoon.
- Cool thoroughly before wrapping individually.
|Image: Elementary Love found on commons.wikimedia.org|